How To Check PF Balance in English: The main scheme of 1952 EPF Employees Provident Fund, under which both employee and employer contribute 12% each of basic salary and dearness allowance of the employee to EPF. At present the interest rate on the amount deposited in the PF account is 8.50% per annum. There are lakhs of EPF (Employees’ Provident Fund) account holders in India who have Provident Fund (PF) deposited in their accounts. You can find out your own PF balance. However, sometimes it becomes a bit difficult to know the correct EPF balance in your account. Here we will talk about offline as well as online ways to check your EPF balance.
check epf balance online
|You can check EPF balance through EPFO portal.||For this, login to “epfindia.gov.in”|
|You can also check EPF balance through mobile app.||The same is done by downloading the UMANG app.|
|You can check EPF balance by sending SMS.||By sending SMS to the number 7738299899|
|You can check EPF balance through missed call.||By miss call on number 011-22901406|
|EPF balance check is also done by visiting the EPF office.||You can locate your EPFO branch at search.epfindia.gov.in/locate_office/office_location.php.|
- To check PF balance with UAN number, you must have a current UAN number.
- You can also check PF balance of old company now and then.
- Let us tell you that, it takes around 24 hours for the EPF balance to be updated on the official website.
- To check your EPF balance on the official website of EPFO, you need to login using your current UAN number.
How to check EPF balance?
You can check EPF balance in two ways, offline and online
- You can check by sending SMS
- You can also check by missed call
- Through e-service portal “epfindia.gov.in”
- Via UMANG Mobile App
1) How to check EPF balance offline
You can check your EPF account balance offline in two ways, i.e. by sending an SMS or a missed call.
How to send SMS
- For this you need to have an active UAN, where you can check PF balance via SMS, it is linked with your Aadhar, PAN and bank account. Also, the mobile number from which you are sending SMS should also be registered with EPFO.
- Type ‘EPFOHO UAN’ in your mobile and send it to the number ‘7738299899’.
- Then you will get the information related to your EPF account.
Since the default language of your mobile will be English, you will receive the answer in English only. If you wish, you can customize your SMS by adding a custom code for your preferred language. For example, to send SMS in English, you have to type “EPFOHO UAN HIN” and send it to the number 7738299899.
Check EPF balance by sending a missed call
You can also check your PF balance offline and get your PF balance details through missed call on number 011-22901406. Make sure that your UAN is enabled and your mobile number is registered with the UAN. Also, the missed call will be valid only if you call it from your registered mobile number.
2) Understand how to check EPF balance online
You can check EPF balance online in the following way.
- Through the official website of EPFO/e-Sewa
- For this, you have to open the official website of EPFO “epfindia.gov.in”.
- Click on the ‘Services’ tab on the top left and then click on ‘For Employees’.
- Then you have to click on ‘Member Passbook’ option.
- Then the “passbook.epfoindia.gov.in” portal will open.
- Now log in by entering your UAN and Password and answer the question asked.
- After logging in, select your member ID and then click on the option ‘view passbook’.
- Now all the information of PF balance will be displayed on your screen, you can also download by clicking on ‘Download Passbook’.
Check EPF Balance through UMANG App
- To check EPF online, you have to download UMANG app in your mobile.
- Register on the app by entering your mobile number and OTP.
- After registering, select the option ‘All Services’.
- Select the EPFO option from the departments under the ‘Social Security and Pensioners’ option mentioned above.
- You can also search EPFO directly from the search bar.
- Now login to ‘Employee Centric Services’ by entering UAN, click on get OTP and entering OTP.
- Click on ‘Submit’ button.
- Now select the option ‘View Passbook’.
- A new screen will open in which you have to select your member ID.
- All the details related to your PF will appear on the screen.
- You can download your EPF passbook by clicking on the ‘Download’ option.
How to check EPF balance for inactive accounts
Inactive accounts are inactive EPF member passbooks in which contributions have not been made for 36 months. As per the notification issued by the Government of India in November 2022, interest will continue to accrue on dormant PF accounts as well and these accounts will no longer be classified as inactive. EPFO had stopped paying interest on dormant accounts from 2022. However, once the new amendment is effective, all dormant accounts will get interest at the rate of 8.5% per annum. Contribution will be made till the member attains the age of 58 years or till the date of EPF withdrawal, whichever is earlier.
There are only two main reasons due to which the PF account becomes inactive first:
- Cumbersome process involved in EPF transfer and employees opening new accounts while changing jobs.
- Communication gap between the employee’s latest and previous employers.
Follow the steps given below to check EPF balance of dormant accounts:
- Visit the EPFO portal and click on the option ‘Inactive Account Help Desk’ under the ‘For Employees’ tab.
- Click on the option ‘First Time User’ and then click on ‘Proceed’.
- Now fill in your problem description and then click on ‘Next’.
- Enter your previous organization details like company address, PF number, date of joining, etc., and then click on ‘Next’.
- On the next page enter your personal details including your name, mobile number, email id, date of birth, PAN, Aadhaar number etc.
- Then click on ‘Generate PIN’. This pin can be used to get the reference number, which you will need to keep for future use.
- Finally, you will be able to register your complaint and send it to the field officer of EPFO.
How can I check my PF balance without UAN number?
If you have an active UAN number, you can check your PF balance using various methods like SMS, missed call, EPFO portal or UMANG app.
However, if you do not have a UAN number, you can follow the steps given below to check PF balance without UAN number:
- Open the EPFO portal “epfindia.gov.in”.
- Go to the link ‘Click to Know Your PF Balance’ on the home page.
- Now on the next page enter your name, state, EPF office, establishment code, EPF account number and registered mobile number.
- After that click on ‘I agree’ button to view EPF balance.
- Alternatively, you can also visit the EPF office and submit your grievance redressal form along with KYC documents. The concerned authorities will give you information about your EPF account.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on EPF Balance Check
How to check PF balance online?
Online PF balance check can be done in the following two ways.
EPFO e-Sewa Portal
Can we check PF balance using Aadhar card and PAN card?
If you are thinking of checking PF account balance using your Aadhar or PAN card, then the answer is ‘you can’t do that’. However, for your EPFO balance enquiry, your PAN, Aadhaar and bank account number must be linked to your UAN.
Is it possible to check EPF balance offline?
Yes, EPF balance can be checked offline by any of the following methods:
EPFOHO can send SMS in UAN Lang format to EPFO balance inquiry number i.e. 7738299899.
You can also get information by making a missed call on 011 22901406.
You can visit the EPF office and submit the relevant form along with your KYC documents to check EPF status.